Skip to main content

Frequently Asked Questions

Am I able to get a social security card through the health department?

No, you will have to go to the nearest social security office to obtain a social security card.  Remember to have your birth certificate with you when you go.

Am I able to get my birth certificate from a different state?

No, we can only issue certified birth certificates from Ohio.  It does not matter where you were born in Ohio, you can visit any Ohio health department to fill your request.

Can I get my marriage license through the health department?

No, you will need to go to probate court in the county in which you were married.

Do you help with Bed Bugs?

While bed bugs are a nuisance, they do not fall under the purview of health departments because bed bugs are not known to transfer human diseases. However, we offer resource links and education to the public about how to prevent and remove bed bugs.

Do you make animal owners put their pet down if they bite someone?

No, but Ohio Revised Code 955.261 requires pet owners to keep a pet who has bitten a person in the county where the bite occurred for a 10-day quarantine period. The only exception is if the animal is being transferred to the county dog warden or other animal control authority. The animal cannot be killed during the quarantine period unless it’s to prevent further injury or death or if the pet is diseased or seriously injured. In these situations, we must be notified immediately and the body must be held for us to test for rabies.

How do I get an immuization for my child?

All clinics are by appointment only:

Tuesdays from 8:30 am -11:30 am, 1 pm-3:30 pm
Every 4th Tuesday of the Month 8:30 am-11:30 am, 1 pm-5:30 pm

Yearly: every 2nd and 4th Tuesday of each month from 8:30 am-11:30 am, 1 pm-5:30 pm

Immunization Clinics
Call 419-282-4357

How do I make a complaint?

If it’s a concern regarding a restaurant or other food service operation in Ashland County, or a public health nuisance complaint (excessive/improperly stored garbage or animal waste) you can use the “Contact Us” button on our website or call our Environmental Health staff at 419-282-4337. For more information about filing a complaint investigated by other agencies, click here.

How do I obtain a certified Birth or Death Certificate?

You may fill out an online request HERE or visit the Health Department between the hours of 8:00am and 3:30pm, Monday through Friday, to fill out a request form.  A Certificate costs $25.00 with a cash or check payment and $27.00 with a debit or credit card payment.

If my loved one passed away in a different county, can I purchase the death certificate from the Ashland County Health Department?

Unfortunately, no.  Death certificates can only be purchased at the health department in the county where the death occurred.