Birth / Death Abroad

Birth of U.S. Citizens Abroad 

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible to the nearest American consular office for the purpose of establishing an official record of the child's claim to U.S. citizenship at birth. The official record is in the form of a Consular Report of Birth Abroad of a Citizen of the United States of America. This document, referred to as the Consular Report of Birth or FS-240, is considered a basic United States citizenship document. An original FS-240 is furnished to the parent(s) at the time the registration is approved. These records can then be purchased by contacting U.S. Department of State, Washington D.C. at 202.955.0307. A notarized, written request including person’s original name at birth (include adoptive name), date of birth, place of birth and names of parents and a telephone number will be required in requesting a document. This written request must be notarized and must include a copy of valid photo identification of the requestor. The cost is $50.00 for each requested document. Make check payable to the “Department of State”.

Death of U.S. Citizens Abroad

The U.S. Consular office will send the family up to 20 certified copies of the Report of Death at the time the initial report is issued free of charge. Additional copies can be obtained by contacting the Department of State, Passport Services, Correspondence Branch, 1111 19th Street, NW, Suite 510, Washington, DC 20036, or by calling 202.955.0307. Submit a signed, written letter of request including all pertinent facts along with requester’s return address and telephone number. The cost is $50.00 for each requested document.

Contact Us