The Ashland County Health Department has the following openings:
Title: REGISTERED ENVIRONMENTAL HEALTH SPECIALIST
Applicant must have a current certificate of registration as a Registered
Environmental Health Specialist. Position requires valid Ohio driver’s license,
reliable transportation, and proof of auto insurance.
Position Type: Full Time, Permanent Position
Primary Location: 1763 State Route 60, Ashland, OH 44805
Salary Range: Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Benefits: Yes: medical, dental, vision, OPERS retirement, vacation/sick leave.
Work Hours: Normal Operating Hours are 8:00 am – 4:00 pm; however, a flexible time schedule is available. Job does require some evening and weekend hours.
Apply Via Email: Pat Donaldson – email@example.com
Email Subject Line: Registered Environmental Health Specialist Job Applicant
Apply Before: Position open until filled.
This position will work under the supervision of the Environmental Health Director and will work to support the various environmental health programs in place at the health department. There is potential for advancement into management positions.
Job Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting inspections in the following programs: Food Protection, Schools, Campgrounds, Pools/Spas, Private Water, Private Sewer and other public or semi-public facilities;
- Preparing reports and documentation to verify compliance with state and local codes and regulations; Collecting field samples for applicable programs;
- Conducting complaint investigations for various EH programs, including food-borne illness;
- Maintaining accurate files, data processing and other office records;
- May assist in preparation of legal or administrative documents;
- Working with various state, county, and municipal governments, and community groups to promote improved environmental health practices;
- Conducting educational presentations and trainings to the community;
- May be required to play an active role in the event of a public health emergency, which may include changes in responsibilities and working hours; and,
- Participate in quality improvement and accreditation initiatives.
- Knowledge of MS Office, with an in-depth knowledge of
- Strong ability to complete data analysis using qualitative and quantitative
- Strong communication
- Self-starter with ability to organize, schedule, and complete assigned work with little to no oversight.
- Team player willing to assist coworkers in completion of assignments.
Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university in Public Health, Behavioral Sciences, Biology, Biostatistics/Epidemiology, or other related degree. Preference will be given to individuals with education, training and vast experience in environmental health or similar fields. Must have a current certificate of registration as a Registered Environmental Health Specialist (R.E.H.S.).
Office setting as well as outdoor field work which may require lifting heavy objects from time to time. May be required to work some occasional evening and weekend hours. Position does require a valid Ohio driver’s license, reliable transportation, and proof of auto insurance.
Final applicant must submit to a drug and alcohol test. Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a criminal records check.